Episode 50 – Heading into the Roaring 20s with Steph Clarke
In this episode I chat with Steph Clarke, where she shares insights from the last decade and predictions for the next.
Steph is a facilitator, cat lady book worm, and we delve deep into book recommendations, hard hitting facilitation and career pivots.
Key episode highlights include:
- When facilitating, it’s not about an agenda, it’s about reading the energy in the room.
- Regret the things you do, not the things you don’t.
Key achievements from the last decade:
The pivot – changing careers in 2009 from accountant to L&D professional and spending the last decade filling up her toolkit of experiences, horror stories and lessons.
The move – moving from the UK to Australia in 2014.
Key lessons from the past decade:
Be prepared – most of the worst facilitation experiences have been due to not doing enough prep.
Be open – you never know what experiences are out there.
Be intentional – have a direction and keep moving towards it, but don’t worry about planning every step.
What Steph predicts the next decade will hold:
A more human humanity – we’re at the edge of a change in what work looks like and making it all more human.
Personal goals for the next decade:
- Redefine what ‘good’ looks like for work.
- Build professional profile.
- Travel more, have more experiences, try new things, finally see Radiohead live, keep moving in the right direction.
Steph’s final message: